The University of North Texas (UNT) continues to be recognized as a leader in vegan dining on college campuses. Thanks to the overwhelming success of Mean Greens Café – the nation’s first all-vegan collegiate dining hall – and other initiatives on campus, UNT has earned an “A+” rating as well as Dean’s List status from peta2 for the fifth consecutive year. The animal advocacy group released its 2018 Vegan Report Card on Oct. 1.
Posted on 11/05/2018 at 05:20 PM
It was her first time competing at the National Association of College & University Food Services (NACUFS) National Culinary Challenge. And if University of North Texas (UNT) Chef/General Manager Sarah Kettelhut has it her way, it definitely won’t be her last.
Posted on 07/20/2018 at 05:27 PM
A bowl game victory, competing in March Madness, winning a Conference USA championship — these are just some of the goals for University of North Texas Mean Green athletic teams. But achieving those goals requires time and dedication long before UNT athletes take the field or hit the court. Training and nutrition during the athletic season as well as throughout the year are just as important. And to aid in the success of the Mean Green, Dining Services hired Charles Ashford to become the university’s first full-time sports nutritionist.
Ashford was brought to UNT to provide nutrition education to Mean Green student-athletes as well as chefs, coaches, athletic trainers, and strength coaches. He also assists with the daily functions of Champs dining hall, making sure the menu is suitable for the demands of student-athletes. Ashford is also in attendance during meal times to help student-athletes with their nutrition choices as well as to answer questions.
Posted on 05/22/2018 at 03:46 PM
The University of North Texas women’s basketball team wasn’t the only member of the Mean Green to pick up a big win on Thursday. UNT Dining Services Chef Sarah Kettelhut was also victorious as she totaled 84 points to finish in first place out of eight competitors and earn a silver medal at the NACUFS (National Association of College and University Food Services) Culinary Challenge.
Posted on 03/14/2018 at 07:45 PM
A cold snap recently struck the Dallas-Fort Worth area and morning temperatures at the University of North Texas in Denton ranged anywhere from single digits to the mid 20s. Despite the blustery weather outside resembling the inside of a freezer, sales on campus were still brisk for an unlikely treat — ice cream.
Posted on 01/31/2018 at 04:00 PM
For the fourth consecutive year, the University of North Texas has earned an “A+” rating as well as Dean’s List status from peta2. The animal advocacy group recently released its 2017 Vegan Report Card and thanks to the success of Mean Greens Café, UNT continues to be recognized as one of the nation’s leaders in vegan dining.
Posted on 12/05/2017 at 04:00 PM
IN THE NEWS
- 10 colleges finding success with vegan dining / FoodService Director
- UNT chefs make mushroom magic / Food Management
- Spotlight on black beans / Food Management
- The most vegan-friendly colleges in the U.S. / Insider
- Dining Services to launch food truck for trial period / North Texas Daily
- Dallas dish of the week: Buffet at Mean Greens Café at UNT Denton / CultureMap Dallas
- Building a healthy menu from scratch / Food Management
- Vegan Dining Hall At UNT Gaining Popularity / CBS DFW
- The Mean Green’s Mean Vegan Cuisine / NBC 5 DFW
- The 30 Colleges With The Best Campus Food You've Ever Seen / Delish
- Lights, camera, nachos! / Food Management
- UNT embraces self-serve order kiosks / Food Management
- Students Don't Have to Be Devoutly Vegan to Love Vegan Food / On-Campus Hospitality
- UNT's 'Mama Joyce' Serves Life Lessons / NBC 5 DFW
- Mama Joyce’s contagious charisma brings joy to students / North Texas Daily
- College farm grows in repurposed trailer / Food Management
- 6 vegan dishes creating a buzz on campus / Foodservice Director
- Hydroponic garden provides organic produce for Mean Greens Café / North Texas Daily
- Eat Your Greens: Mean Greens / We Denton Do It
- Vegan café celebrates five years at UNT / North Texas Daily
- UNT ’s all-vegan café sees continued growth / Foodservice Director
- University of North Texas opens vegan dining hall / Fort Worth Star-Telegram
- UNT Goes Vegan With Mean Greens Café / Dallas Observer
- Goldies 2012—Food Democracy: University of North Texas, Denton / Foodservice Director
- University of North Texas to Open First Vegan Dining Hall / Education News
- Southern Veganism / Inside Higher Ed